About Pleasant Hill Academy
Pleasant Hill is a neighborhood school serving students in preschool through sixth grade. Children are our first priority!
At Pleasant Hill, we focus on the three B's: Being respectful, Being responsible and Being presentable. To that end, we teach our students to respect their community and actively engage in opportunities to learn, grow, innovate and generate fresh ideas.
While we have a diverse student body, our students share many traits. They are curious, ambitious, interested in exploration and collaborative. We go to great lengths to nurture these traits and their sense of individuality. Our teachers and support staff cater their teaching styles to our students' individual needs. We are proud to develop our students' natural inquisitiveness with our environmental science focus!
Every student will be given the resources to perform proficiently at grade level by focusing on academics and social-emotional growth.
I am Vision 20/20!
After School Care
YMCA and the 21ST Century After-School Program is a literacy-focused program for grades K-6. The program runs Monday through Friday, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. The first hour is focused on academics and the second hour is geared toward social skill enrichment. YMCA Afterschool exists to improve academic achievement, reduce risk-taking behaviors and foster community relations. For more information, contact Mrs. Dennis, our Academic and Site Director, at (513) 363-4366.
Community Learning Centers
For our schools to transform, our communities must be revitalized. For our communities to revitalize, our schools must be transformed. They are dependent on each other, and Community Learning Centers are the link.
What is a Community Learning Center (CLC)?
Schools and the communities they serve are closely linked. Seldom does one succeed without the success of the other. That's why our CLCs support student achievement, enrich and revitalize communities, and maximize the community's return on their financial investment.
We are very proud to be a CLC and a neighborhood anchor. We strive to go beyond academics to focus on the whole child by serving as a hub for community services that are available to all students, their families and the entire community. We are able to offer a variety services thanks to the collaboration and support of our many partners and the committed community of Pleasant Hill Academy.
Our Resource Coordinator
Mr. Tim Walker is the Resource Coordinator for Pleasant Hill Academy.
The key component of a CLC is the partners who provide services and support. To manage and align these valuable partnerships, our full-time, onsite Resource Coordinator, Mr. Walker, plays an integral role in the success of the CLC.
To learn more about the services available at our school or how your company or organization can become a CLC partner or volunteer, please contact Mr. Walker at (513) 363-4366 or via email.
Local School Decision-Making Committee (LSDMC)
LSDMC is a group of parents, teachers and community representatives. The group functions in an advisory role to the principal to determine program, policy and budget issues for the school.
School Visits and Tours
We welcome visits from parents and guardians as well as prospective families who would like a tour. To protect student safety, all visitors must register in the office before going to the classroom. Parents/guardians who would like a conference with their child's teacher must schedule an appointment with the teacher.
Tours are also available on request. To schedule a tour, stop by our main office or call us at (513) 363-4300.
The 1944-45 Survey of School-Building Needs of Cincinnati, Ohio, anticipated annexations of areas north and east of College Hill and predicted that, in view of population growth from such annexations, there would ultimately be need for a junior high school in northeast College Hill. Early acquisition of a suitable site was recommended. On September 23, 1946, the Board of Education designated property on the north side of North Bend Road opposite Lantana Avenue as the school site. This was part of the Crawford's Old Men's Home property, which had been left by John T. Crawford, a Civil War veteran. According to his will, this property was to be used as "an asylum and home for aged, indigent, worthy colored men, preference to be given those who have suffered the miseries of American slavery.”
On March 10, 1947, the Board purchased the tract at a cost of $20,000. The area acquired was figured at 13.594 acres. Because of the kind of institutional ownership, court action was necessary to clear the title and it was not until October 13, 1947, that the Board really owned the site. On September 27, 1952, the Board sold a small portion (approximately .096 acre) to the City at a price of $1,760. Since construction of a school on the site was in the indefinite future, on May 23, 1949, the Board leased of the property to the Public Recreation Commission. The Commission constructed four baseball fields, for immediate use. On April 11, 1955, the lease was absorbed into the contract between the Board of Education and the Public Recreation Commission governing joint development and use of properties between the two bodies and known as the ''Continuing Agreement.''
In 1962, the Survey of School-Building Plant Needs recommended that an elementary school for 500 pupils be built in the northeast College Hill area. (Underlying the recommendation was the assumption that the school would be constructed on the site originally intended for a junior high school, which, with the passing of years and the failure of extensive annexations, seemed no longer properly located for such a secondary school.) Trustees of the board were considering disposing of the remaining land and buildings of the Home. The structures of the Crawford's Old Men's Home were old and run down and practically no persons were being accommodated. Because of this, on June 8, 1964, the Board of Education designated the balance of the Crawford's Home property as the site for the proposed elementary school. On July 6, 1964, the Board accepted an offer of sale at $75,000. The area acquired was about five acres.
On July 6, 1964, Glaser & Myers & Associates, Architects, began designing the school with two kindergarten rooms, ten primary classrooms, five intermediate classrooms, one music classroom, one art and crafts room, one science classroom, one general purpose/resource center room, a combination cafeteria-auditorium, a gymnasium and auxiliary rooms. These facilities raised capacity from 500 pupils to 660. In setting up the size of the school, it was recognized that as the area east of the school became more densely developed, another elementary school would soon be needed somewhere near Winton Road.
Studies of the development of the former Crawford's Home site indicated that the school could be set back from North Bend Road and that a branch library could be constructed in front of it. The parking areas for the school and the playfield would then be of use to the library also. On May 3, 1965, the Board of Education and the Public Library entered into a lease of land on which there was subsequently erected the Northern Hills Branch Library*. The Architects employed by the Board and by the Library cooperated to make the library building and the school building architecturally compatible.
Contracts for construction of the school were awarded July 6, 1965, totaling $983,102. On November 8, 1965, the Board named the school Pleasant Hill Elementary School. Pleasant Hill was the name used for what is now College Hill when the area was platted about 1820 by William Carey and Jabez Tunis. In 1832, Freeman G. Cary began a boys' school called Pleasant Hill Academy. The Academy became Farmers' College and later the Ohio Military Institute and now Aiken High School. Pleasant Hill Elementary School was substantially completed by September 1966, at which time it was first occupied.
Prepared in 1966 by Cincinnati Board of Education for the Pleasant Hill School dedication booklet . *Now the College Hill Branch Library