At Pleasant Hill Academy, we set high expectations for our students. We are a data-driven school. Our academic focus for grades 4-6 includes the following programs and strategies.
Reading and Language Arts
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's Journeys series, as well as books from the public library, provide a rich reading and writing experience for students. Early literacy is stressed through continued assessment and flexible grouping.
Students learn best by doing, so Pleasant Hill Academy focuses on science with a hands-on approach through project-based learning. Through the combined use of science kits and textbooks, students are exposed to all the sciences that appeal to all learners.
The Math department provides students with a strong foundation in the understanding of math. Realizing that not all students learn in the same fashion, we address the learning styles of all students using tools such as My Math, IXL, Ten Marks and Khan Academy.
The goal is to mold students into responsible, active citizens. Students examine the experiences of various cultural groups as they immigrated to America. They delve into the study of the function of the U.S. Government and the rights and responsibilities of its citizens. Pleasant Hill students in grades 4-6 also engage in the GE Capstone Project Partnership. The capstone features STEM solutions to social problems and integrates science, history, literacy and math components.
Other Advantages of a Pleasant Hill Academy Education
Other features of Pleasant Hill's academic program for grades 4-6 include:
- Grades 4-6 receive 90 minutes for ELA and Math, and 45 minutes for Science/Social studies.
- Pleasant Hill is part of the Elementary Initiative, providing additional resources and support to help students thrive academically.
- Tutoring opportunities may be provided through the 21st century grant.
- Students and families can use counseling services through Central Clinic's "Ready-to-Learn" program.
- Field trips are scheduled to enhance student's academic experience and as incentives for positive behavior.